Sunday, November 22, 2015

Mango Land and Focusing on Christ

11/15/15

Family and Friends, 

So you know, it actually doesn't rain that much here. I'm totally serious. I expected it to rain every day and to be completely sick of being wet, which I am, but it never rains. Maybe it just isn't rainy season, but it has only rained about 3 times since I've gotten here, one of which was a typhoon. I am always wet with sweat. It's disgusting. It has never been so hard to put on clothes after you shower. Anyways, it is getting colder here (about 70s and absolutely perfect) and all the Taiwanese pull out their jackets and winter coats. Apparently it doesn't get too much colder here, so I am in for the best winter of my life. Without mangoes. Mango season ended right as I got here. Are you kidding me? I'm in the land of mangoes without any mangoes.

Interesting thing about Taiwanese movers, they lift with the back. Literally. They will carry this huge stack of boxes with their arms stretched behind them and the boxes leaning on their back. You would think that that form of lifting was less effective, but the Taiwanese have been seen lifting whole refrigerators by themselves by using the "Asian moving method". I don't know whether it legitimately is more effective or not, but there is an interesting analogy found in this. 

How often do we lift things with our hands out in front of us? I personally do. It is so easy to focus on how hard the language is or how all of our baptismal investigators won't answer our phone calls this week. When I do, it is so hard to see the end goal and my true purpose as a missionary: inviting others to come unto Christ. When we lift with our burdens behind us, we find we are able to carry more and are able to see more clearly where we are walking and where we want to go. You still have the weight, you still have to struggle, but at least you know where the staircase ends (am I right? we have all felt that feeling!). Here is where you get the classic scripture found in Matthew 11:28-30: "Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

I hope this next week I can apply that lesson I learned from the movers of Taiwan and lift with my back, setting the language and the struggles behind me so I can focus on what I really am doing for the next two years. Love and prayers to all those affected by what happened in France this past week and to all of you as well! You are the best!





Displaying PB120238.JPG
Displaying PB120238.JPG
Displaying PB120238.JPG
Displaying PB120238.JPG
Displaying PB120238.JPG
Displaying PB120238.JPG

No comments:

Post a Comment