Sunday, August 7, 2016

Letter to Sarah (7/31/16)

Ok, so you wrote me a while back about you deciding on serving a mission and all that, and I am so sorry that it has taken so long to get back to you but I would just like to quickly put my 10 cents in. First off, do not worry at all about others pestering you about the decision to serve a mission. Tell other people: "Well frankly it isn't my decision, it is the Lord's, and He hasn't told me yet."

 The fact is, a mission is hard. Very hard. If it wasn't hard it wouldn't be worth it. Nevertheless, I think the problem with a lot of people coming home early from their missions is not necessarily because a mission is hard, but rather because making the decision is hard. Really, I'm not even sure it should be our decision. I think too many people come out on a mission because they personally decide it would be good for them and because they are scared to wait a little while to go out or to tell others they don't feel they should go out. There is something special in a missionary who prayed and fasted to know whether the Lord would have them serve a mission or not, and then did everything in their power to follow through with the answer they got. 

I'll give you an example. Soon to be Sister McKinley Carr searched for her answer for somewhere around 6 months before she went to the place of Joseph Smith's martyrdom and had an overwhelming feeling that she should go and serve the Lord. Especially with Sister missionaries, I think you have to pay special attention for the answer 'no'. There could be something extremely important the Lord wants you to do back home that, and this sounds crazy, a mission could get in the way of. Don't go on a mission because of obligation, peer pressure, or mere curiosity and I think the chances of you going home after coming out are very small. Rather, go on a mission because you have searched diligently for a very personal witness from our Father in Heaven that a mission is His divine will for you. 

Along this process, please feel free to email me with any questions you might have. Sarah, you are so amazing and I have always looked up to you despite being two years older (and a few inches taller) than you, and I know you would make an incredible missionary. The question is whether the Lord wants to call you to the field or not. "If any many lack wisdom -- let him ask of God." Good luck Little John!

- Jojo

No comments:

Post a Comment