Monday, January 4, 2016

New Year 2016

1/3/16

Wow I love the Taiwanese. Hilarious. The other day, we were talking to this young student and we casually asked his name and then asked how old he was. "I'm 16.... because young is POWER!" Elder Dixon and I just about died laughing. After that, we did a few 180s on our bikes because we figured out MRT stations have a tile all the way around the outside that get really slippery when wet (don't worry Mom we had helmets on) and continued finding people to bring closer to Christ. This week, we made a goal to really focus on finding the prepared and really teaching people instead of lessons to get numbers. We have met so many amazing people recently because of the perspective we had.

Cultural Experience:
People think we live at the chapel. Not kidding. Everyone asks us that. Ya our church is at such and such address. Do you live there? No. Do you live right above the chapel? No, we live at our own apartment somewhere else. At a church? No!

With the start of the New Year, a lot of changes are coming to the mission field. I've only heard little rumors so far, but next week I can give specifics. I do know that there is going to be a big stress this year on 'hastening the work' and especially on baptism. I think that is amazing. What an incredible thing to be a part of: missionary work in the final dispensation. The sprint at the end of the race--the final harvest. We aren't just harvesting wheat out here, we are harvesting people. Living, breathing people that are coming to know their loving Heavenly Father. I love reading emails from fellow missionaries about their personal experiences in hastening the work of salvation. I love being out here on the front lines just making people smile, and I can't wait to welcome in a whole year, 2016, of being found in the service of my God. I love you all!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fairly low key New Years I guess you could say, but check out video footage or pictures of Taipei 101 at New Years. New Years here is comparable to the Fourth of July in the States, minus all the parades. Plus 7 or 8 million people. They have the day before and the day after off of work (very very very very rare here) so they all go vacationing and stay up super late, but that is pretty much it. There were floods of people here in Beitou to go to the hot springs. We just kind of went to bed and then woke up and said, "Hey! Wow! Now we have to write 2016 in our missionary planners!" I think my journal is still in 2015 though because there wasn't a big enough event to remind me to change it. Oh boy are you right about Guo Nian being the biggest holiday in Taiwan. I just hear story after story after story about the Chinese New Year. That quote from Christian literally just about made me die! Did I tell you about the pupusas in Modesto? There was this little shop that I would go to all the time. Only pupuseria in the whole valley! Awesome Google Beanies in those pictures btw!!! Sorry the emails are late this week, we went to a 'eat until full' Pizza Hut. They had awesome Taro pizza that I will have to send you a picture of. They don't have that in your local Centerville Pizza Hut joint right? If they do, go get it. It's purple! I'm sorry, I want to write more but I'm not sure what to write about. I don't like hot pot. Huo Guo. The Taiwanese love it. Basically, you get a pot of boiling water and then it's just kinda whatever you want from there. They put literally everything in there. Coagulated pig blood, fish balls, duck neck, pork liver, shrimp, you name it. The Taiwanese food is amazing, but they can keep their hot pots. I'm not even kidding about those ingredients by the way, those are the more normal stuff. I think most Americans would love Taiwanese street food. I think most Americans would hate Taiwanese home-cooked food. There are wild dogs everywhere. Only the poorest of poor eat them though. My companion and I got the same score in bowling last week: 101. Companionship unity right there. And the whole Taipei 101 as well. Well, that is pretty much it. I love you all!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment