Monday, August 24, 2015

Iain Mckay Letter 2

8/24/15

Dear Elder Hawkes,

You are certainly having a variety of life's "experiences" in Modesto. I heard a Mission President say once that "Baptism is never a mistake" We are all Heavenly Father's children and he loves us equally- but not the sins we become involved in. In my lifetime in the Church I have seen people repent, be baptised and turn their lives around. I have also seen a lot who become worthy enough to be baptised and then revert back to their old ways and stop coming to Church. This then becomes a "burden" on the local ward and branch who have to try and reactivate . In NZ we used to call them revolving door baptisms- in the front door and out the back door. Of course, as Pres Hinckley used to say every new convert requires a friend and a calling. I think he might have also added "Home Teachers."  These are the things that provide stability and friendshipping for the new convert. Sadly, many times our wards and branches become overwhelmed. The missionaries leave and the new member dies on the vine for lack of attention, love and additional teaching.

Ideally we need families to join the Church- especially those with a strong husband and father at the head who can receive and magnify his Priesthood. Without adequate  Priesthood and families the Church cannot grow. I have been in Wards in Hong Kong where the Priesthood is almost non existent. Hundreds of Fillipino sisters who are faithful and incredible missionaries to other sisters but there is a dearth of Priesthood. As I have entered the chapel I have been asked to either bless or pass the sacrament- even before they check to see if I was a member of the Church!!!!

Love and blessings

Iain

No comments:

Post a Comment