Monday, October 5, 2015

1st Week in Taiwan

9/27/15

It is only now that I realize just how grateful I am that I learned how to type without looking before my mission. I'm typing on a keyboard that has the letters and numbers we all know and recognize next to three other symbols I completely don't recognize. Oh, and their is a typhoon outside. You may have guessed it, but I actually find myself sitting in an internet cafe in Taiwan. Last Wednesday, President Palmer called me into his office and told me I was headed to Taiwan the next morning. Next thing I know, I'm being whisked off on a plane that has little Asian stewardesses saying in the most Chinese stereotypical accent one can muster: "Pwease fasten your seatbewt." Out the dark window is a small lattice of orange lights that continue to grow into the skeleton of a huge city that slowly fades into the smog in the distance. I met my companion, Elder Boyce, and we've been working ever since!

Cultural Experiences:
-biking around my new area, Bei Tou, is a little bit like mario cart. Nothing in the city moves faster than you can pedal, so we literally weave in and out of traffic amidst cars, buses, and a truly astonishing amount of motorscooters
-the majority of traffic lights are a flashing yellow, which has no significance at all other than it kinda looks pretty
-the lines on the road are suggestions, as well as the flashing lights of emergency vehicles
-in Taipei they don't build out, they build up. Half the buildings here are skyscraper apartment buildings
-they have so much traffic they build a freeway to go on top of the other freeway
-7 Elevens are everywhere and they are convenience stores
-McDonalds is actually a bit on the expensive side, a heaping plate of rice and whatever else they put in cooked fresh in front of you has been known to cost around $2
-the most irritating thing about Taiwan: they don't drink with their food. I am always thirsty because they simply don't serve drinks anywhere, you have to buy them separate
-I haven't stopped sweating since I got here, and that's not including the rain
-the people are amazing, we literally teach lessons on the streets around train stations

Well, a few more cultural experiences than normal. I haven't mentioned even half of them so there will probably be a big list fairly often. I went to church yesterday, and I was surprised at how similar it was to ours. Granted, the ward was only 60 or 70 strong, but I love how the Gospel really and truly is the same where ever you go. The culture may be different, but because the church is based on fundamentally true principles of faith in Christ, you can always be sure to be edified at a Latter-day Saint church. I love you all! Remember the church is true!

_________________________________________________



There is a typhoon outside. You may have guessed it, but I actually find myself sitting in an internet cafe in Taiwan. 


Last Wednesday, President Palmer called me into his office and told me I was headed to Taiwan the next morning. Next thing I know, I'm being whisked off on a plane that has little Asian stewardesses. Out the dark window is a small lattice of orange lights that continue to grow into the skeleton of a huge city that slowly fades into the smog in the distance. I met my companion, Elder Boyce, and we've been working ever since!

It is so crazy here. Salt Lake City is so itty-bitty compared to Taipei. I seriously couldn't believe it. It is literally row after row after row of huge apartment buildings and tight roads in between. Guess what? Everyone goes to parks here. They are absolutely packed in the mornings. People are everywhere doing Tai qi.  They feed you until you are fat. Every single time we eat with the members, they load up your plate or bowl and then continually drop stuff in throughout the course of the meal without asking. When you refuse by saying "chi bao le" or "dude I am super full" they offer it again. Chi bao le. Offer it again. Chi bao le. Offer something else. No I'm chi bao le of that too. I've hit the weird foods already too. Red-bean cakes, fish balls, deep-fried pig blood (I managed to narrowly avoid), and a lot of other stuff I can't put a name to. We have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy. Try to get a hold of some Pomello though. You zi (you as in yo-ho a pirates life for me) as they call it here. It tastes super awesome. The Taiwanese love karaoke, but they are extremely bad at it. There are no trashcans here! You have to really try to find one. They pretty much only have them in convenience stores, though the city is actually pretty clean.  Dad has probably already looked it up, but there is a fair-sized typhoon coming through today which should be pretty fun. Love you!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Family,

We will definitely have to go to Yosemite! And then I can show you around Modesto after! It's a pretty exciting place.... kinda. I hope everything is going great back at home! Sarah I am officially mad at you because you were supposed to ride Cannibal and tell me how it was. And what is this about a new Pixar movie? I saw an advertisement before I left for Taiwan. Well, after almost missing my flight, I finally made it to Taiwan. It is so crazy here. Salt Lake City is so itty-bitty compared to Taipei. I seriously couldn't believe it. It is literally row after row after row of huge apartment buildings and tight roads in between. Guess what? Everyone goes to parks here. They are absolutely packed in the mornings. People are everywhere doing Tai qi, moaning weird sounds while doing yoga, pounding their fist into their palms while walking around, walking barefoot on pathways with big pebbles like egg cartons on them, you name it. I didn't realize how accurate some of our stereotypes are. They feed you until you are fat. Every single time we eat with the members, they load up your plate or bowl and then continually drop stuff in throughout the course of the meal without asking. When you refuse by saying "chi bao le" or "dude I am super full" they offer it again. Chi bao le. Offer it again. Chi bao le. Offer something else. No I'm chi bao le of that too. I've hit the weird foods already too. Red-bean cakes, fish balls, deep-fried pig blood (I managed to narrowly avoid), and a lot of other stuff I can't put a name to. We have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy. Try to get a hold of some Pomello though. You zi (you as in yo-ho a pirates life for me) as they call it here. It tastes super awesome. The Taiwanese love karaoke, but they are extremely bad at it. There are no trashcans here! You have to really try to find one. They pretty much only have them in convenience stores, though the city is actually pretty clean. Well, thats probably enough stuff for one week. In all, it is just super crazy that I am in a whole new country where everyone speaks a language I can't really speak. Dad has probably already looked it up, but there is a fair-sized typhoon coming through today which should be pretty fun. Love you!!!

-Elder Hawkes

No comments:

Post a Comment